Quick Links

Banner School

Banner School

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

LOCAL HOMELESS EDUCATION LIAISONS - UNDERSTANDING THEIR ROLE

Hi, my name is Miss Lori and I am the Homeless Liaison for Banner School...

Thank you for taking time to read this article.  It is my heart to make sure that every student who walks through the doors at Banner School receives the best education and educational experience available to them. Sometimes students experience situations that are completely our of their control, like homelessness, foreclosure amongst others.  The staff and faculty at Banner School are sympathetic to these changes and will try to come alongside parents during these difficult times to offer solutions and resources to help the students continue in their education.  As Homeless Liaison it is my responsibility to help identify students who are considered homeless, make sure they are enrolled in and have a full and equal opportunity to succeed in school, that families and students have access to and receive educational services for which they are eligible, receive referrals to health care, dental, mental health care, substance abuse care, housing and other appropriate services, parent are made aware of their rights and are informed of their educational and related opportunities available to their children and the opportunities to participate with them, educational rights are posted throughout the school and at places available to parents, enrollment disputes are mediated, transportation services are available, professional development for faculty and staff are presented, and unaccompanied youth are enrolled in school, have opportunities to meet the same challenging State standards as other children and youth and are informed of their status as independent students able to receive assistance verifying this status for the purposes of FAFSA.

If you are experiencing homelessness, know someone who is, or have questions for me, please do not hesitate to call me.

Lori Merhib

Homeless Liaison

Banner School District

405-262-0598 Ext 204

405-229-3662 Cell

Role of the Homeless Liaison

No comments have been added yet. Please add yours!