SCHOOL DISTRICT TRANSPARENCY ACT
2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-5-135.4. School District Transparency Act.
Universal Citation: 70 OK Stat § 70-5-135.4 (2015)
A. This section shall be known and may be cited as the “School District Transparency Act”.
B. By January 30, 2011, the State Department of Education shall make school district expenditure data available on its website. Data shall be made available in an open-structured data format that may be downloaded by the public and that allows the user to systematically sort, search, and access all data without any fee or charge for access.
C. The database shall provide information on school district expenditures of state, federal, and local funds, whether appropriated or nonappropriated, excluding payments of voluntary payroll deductions for employees to receiving parties. The database shall further provide information, including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Identification of the school district;
2. The Oklahoma Cost Accounting System (OCAS) code designation for each expenditure;
3. The name and principal location of the entity or recipient of the funds, excluding release of information relating to an individual’s place of residence and release of information prohibited by subsection D of Section 24A.7 of Title 51 of the Oklahoma Statutes or by federal law relating to privacy rights;
4. The amount of funds expended;
5. The type of transaction;
6. A descriptive purpose of the funding action or expenditure;
7. Copies of all credit card statements, identified by department responsible for each credit card;
8. The budgeted and audited actual expenditure figures for each fiscal year, ensuring each set of figures can be identified as budgeted or audited figures; and
9. The per-pupil spending figure, derived by dividing total expenditures by the total number of students enrolled for each school year.
D. The Department shall make the data available on its website within one hundred twenty (120) days of transmission of the expenditures to the Department by the school district.
E. School districts shall provide information requested by the Department to accomplish the purposes of this section.
F. If a school district maintains a website, the district shall provide the information required in subsection C of this section in the manner prescribed in subsection B of this section on the district website.
G. Nothing in this section shall require the disclosure of information which is required to be kept confidential by state or federal law.
H. The disclosure of information required by this section shall create no liability whatsoever, civil or criminal, to the State of Oklahoma, the State Department of Education, school districts, or any employee thereof for disclosure of required information or for any error or omission in the disclosure.
Added by Laws 2010, c. 332, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2010.